Archiving From Home
[SOME OF THIS COULD GO AT THE END]:
If you are in possession of precious items, photos, and letters that need caretaking, here are some steps you can consider.
- Come up with a plan. Have you considered where you would like your Baba treasures to end up? It’s worth noting that in the case of letters and photos, they can be preserved through scanning, without you permanently letting go of them. Consider leaving instructions with your caregivers or estate manager as to where you would like your valuable possessions to end up; this may be something to include in your will.
- Organize and label your items. One of our most time-consuming challenges is being given a big box of mixed items without documentation. If you can provide provenance, such as who gave what to whom, and when and where; this is extremely helpful for immediate archiving purposes and the benefits will be felt by generations to come.
- Keep your treasures in a safe, dry place. Buy archival, acid-free paper; files; boxes; and plastic to slow down the aging process of materials.
- If you’re not in a position to organize and label items, but you know you want them preserved, consider donating them to us or another Baba archive while you are still around to answer questions about your collection.
- If you are considering donating your treasures and have the means to provide for their preservation and upkeep, this would be most helpful. Materials, as well as storage systems and facilities are costly; all contributions are gratefully received as funds to support the long term preservation of Meher Baba’s legacy will always be required.